Sunday, November 14, 2010

Catherine Wheel - Eat My Dust You Insensitive Fuck

I first heard about Catherine Wheel when their screaming, angry chart hit "Waydown" came out in 1995. Being quite interested in the heavy rock / metal / industrial movement at the time, it fitted nicely into my old loud lists. I remember going out and buying the brilliant "Happy Days" album and putting it on and being surprised that these guys weren't just a screamo hardcore act. Lead singer Rob Dickinson, a cousin of Iron Maiden headman Bruce Dickinson, displayed some impressive vocal talent with an array of different styles which all seemed to fit.

Their 1997 album "Adam And Eve" was even better for me. It featured long, epic progressive rock ballads and incorporated more varied instrumentation than their previous work. Unfortunately after that they switched labels, put a "The" in front of their name, released a mediocre album in 2000 and subsequently disbanded.

Rob Dickinson is still around doing some solo work, but it's just not the same. It never is. This is the slow, pulsating masterpiece from that '95 album that made such an impression on me. It would have been stellar live.

Catherine Wheel - Eat My Dust You Insensitive Fuck



Genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment