Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Phil Collins - Against All Odds

It's almost spring! Technically we're still a good three weeks away, but I like to think of myself as an optimist, and hope that the worst of the cold is now well and truly over. You wouldn't know it looking outside, with the mountains of snow all but erasing any memory of what the green grass looks like, so I thought I'd plant a little on the blog today. This is blog version 4.0 and so far I think I like it. Let me know what you think.

To celebrate I thought I'd post a little Phil Collins for ya. I'm a big fan which might seem strange to some, but it's performances like this that I think are hard to argue with. Sure his stuff post '93 is a bit crap, but that's still five solid studio albums in there and that doesn't even factor in Genesis or anything live. I digress.

This cut is from the Live Aid show at Wembley Stadium in 1985, and it is particularly pleasing because he makes a rather glaring error right near the beginning of the song and yet goes on to finish it with such vigor that it rates as surely the best ever version of the song. It's a masterclass in performance in that regard, and a brilliant reminder that mistakes happen to the best of us, and often at the worst times. It's how you smile and soldier on, against all odds, that matters most.

Phil Collins - Against All Odds [Live Aid '85]



THE BEATS OF BONUS!

Sébastien Léger - Origines



Brand spankin' new. That is an absolute banger!

STUFF YOU SHOULD SEE

Reduce, Re-Use & Roll Up The Rim

An interesting discussion on the real impact of Timmy's.

In Search Of Pirates

I haven't watched it yet but it has Ross Kemp and REAL pirates. Win, win.

SCIENCE MATTERS

Bio-Engineered Diesel Fuel In Massachusetts

A very interesting proposition.

POLITICS SUCKS

China Continues To Stifle Calls For Change

Will the people of China join the revolution?

Australia Proposes Ban On Plants With DMT

Making ANY plant illegal is just ludicrous.

JUST FOR LAUGHS

The President's Speech - American Style

This is a beauty.

Oh, Have You Not Heard?

It was my understanding that everyone had heard.

WEIRD OR WHAT

Human Cheese - Sustainable Or Sick?

Grilled cheese and a glass of breast milk? Umm...

SIMPLY AWESOME

The Art Of Flight - Trailer

I can't wait to see that.

1 comment:

  1. delightful! i'm rolling in your happy grassy blog, and imaging palm trees outside my window. that's a pretty fantastic Bryan Raydio banner too!

    katie

    ReplyDelete