Friday, December 31, 2010

Best of 2010 Part 7

Well we made it. I started this thing on January 21st of this year, so we're not quite a year old yet, but close enough. Thanks to all of you who came and checked out the blog, and pretended to read some of my ramblings. The new year will see some more changes to the blog. It will become more than just a music blog, as I'll be posting more stuff like crazy news links, funny videos, goofy pictures and such, but the music will remain. The new website is still in the works, but it's not quite ready yet, so maybe by the end of this month it will be ready to go. In the meantime, enjoy your new year's festivities, whatever they may be, and I'll see ya tomorrow. Afternoon. Late afternoon.

And my top three albums of the year are...

#3
Kings Go Forth
The Outsiders Are Back


In July I posted about Milwaukee's Kings Go Forth. Since then I've had them on regular rotation on my playlist. With the sort of funk-soul revival that's going on, there has to be someone leading the charge, setting the standard. These guys are so perfectly named it's uncanny. They are the new Kings of the genre, and they are taking us forward to a new musical era.

These guys aren't about making flashy music videos, or goofy merchandise, or anything else, they're all about the funk. From the the first note to the last, this album is absolutely fantastic. The thing is, these guys aren't young. Where have they been for the last fifteen years? Doesn't matter, the cat is out of the bag. For righteous funk-soul extravaganza on a stick, look no further. Their time is now. Hail to the Kings, baby.

One Day


High On Your Love


I Don't Love You No More


#2
Grum
Heartbeats



I was wrong about these guys. First, I got the name wrong. It's just Grum. Second, I thought it was more than just Graeme Shepherd. Nope, just him. Then after hearing a couple singles that this might just be a couple fun tracks on a mediocre album. Boy was I wrong there. I don't care what anyone else says. This is 80's electro-discopop, only it's awesome. Really awesome. I've listened to this album countless times since I got it and it's still amazing.

Take Chromeo, add a dash of Daft Punk, a pinch of David Bowie, and just a hint of Mylo for flavour, shake vigorously and you have Grum. It's true, this album is goofy and pretentious but it's just so much damn fun. Remember those nights when you went out and partied like an animal and just didn't give a damn? Put it on a record and this is what you get. One day this will be considered a classic. It already is in my books. Check out my September post for the two singles, and then blast these tracks.

Heartbeats


LA Lights


Turn It Up


#1
The Roots
How I Got Over


The Roots! Congrats guys, you are my favourite album of the year. These guys brought us their finest album in a decade with this new release. It brings elements of soul and funk to their raw classic hip hop sound. For me it captured the vibe of the year perfectly. A rock solid beat but a hint of frustration in the lyrics, but driven with sense of purposeful inevitability.

Social consciousness is not something everyone is born with. Some people develop it, some people don't, for whatever reason. For those with it, it's a struggle to make other people wake up and take notice. It's not about trying to change the world on a global scale, it's about trying to show those people standing right next to you that the world works just great when we all work together. Let this album shine it's light on you. Dear God. Right on, right on.

Doin' It Again


Now Or Never


The Fire


BONUS BEATS!

Deadmau5 - Community Nap


Rock over Fredericton, roll on Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment