Sunday, August 15, 2010

Radiohead - The National Anthem

When I said that Alice In Chains were arguably my favourite band, I of course meant after Radiohead, and probably Tool, and maybe Pearl Jam... it's really damn hard to pick. Really though, Radiohead is probably number one for me.

The combination of lead singer Thom Yorke and ridiculous guitar-slash-keyboard-slash-computer-slash-freakin'-everything performer Jonny Greenwood is something no other band in the world can boast. To think that these guys were all in the same place at the same time and got along well enough to do what they do is really something of a miracle in itself. When "Creep" came along way back in 1993 it had one hit wonder written all over it. Could it have been more wrong?

I don't think the new albums get better, because since "The Bends" they've all been spectacular, but each one seems to break through new musical boundaries that no one else has been able to do with such panache. I saw them live in Montreal at Parc Des Iles in 2001 and they opened with this song. You can imagine my excitement.



This is where I end, and you begin... until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment