Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Bryan Raydio - Into The Deep EP

So it's done. Finally. At last. This one has proved a major roadblock, but I'm through it. Now onto more, and much, much sooner. While it's been a good two years since I put out my last EP, it's actually been about four years since the very first incarnations of these tracks took shape. They've gone through countless edits and I was just never satisfied with them. After chipping away I'm finally where I can say I've had enough.

Production, mixing, and mastering was all done by me, mostly in FL Studio using various VSTs both native and external. The songs themselves are kind of a progressive-techno-IDM mix, I'm never really sure how to describe my stuff in terms of genre unless it's clear-cut. Definitely a darker feel to these ones, pretty intense, which isn't necessarily a reflection of my mood these days, it's just how the songs came out. Hopefully they don't scare anyone away!

I'd like to think I've made a few advances technically since the last release. Hopefully these tracks have a cleaner sound to them. I was pretty meticulous in the mixing stage and spent a lot of time making sure everything was EQ'd properly and in phase. That's not to say it will be perfect, because for all I know on some speakers they could sound crap, but after testing on my studio monitors, various headphones and ear buds, and the car stereo, they sound ok on my end at least. Do let me know if there are glaring errors.

One thing I did differently in the mastering stage this time was I left some air in the final cut. Those in the production business will have seen and heard countless tracks that are blasted and squashed and maximised to death. Some refer to it as the loudness war. I'm very conscious of it and after making a couple different versions, I much preferred to leave the volume down and leave the original dynamics. So at the final limiting stage I only compressed the peaks by maybe 1-1.5 db at the most, most of the time it wasn't compressing at all. If you have no idea what any of that means, don't worry about it. It just means you might have to turn up the volume a little bit if you want it real loud. 

Now that these buggers are out of the way there will be more, and soon. I put out six EP's in 2012, I expect to have at least two or three more out this year. I'm going to leave this here for a couple days. Click on the album cover below to get to the download page. I'll get back to posting on Saturday.

http://bryanraydio.com/_html/2014_08_13_into_the_deep.html

No comments:

Post a Comment